Saturday, June 25, 2011

Facts, Universally Acknowledged


Day 35:  Rugby? Nope. 

Day 36: 

Day 37:  I met three little girls at a rugby match.  When they found out I wasn’t married and I didn’t have a boyfriend, they were shocked.  They said I was very nice and pretty.  I told them to tell the boys that.  On another note, Institute is way more fun when you sit by Mechaeler Horner.  Mostly because when everyone else is delving into deep [possibly false] doctrine, you and Mechaeler are playing with her baby cousin. 

Day 38:  Went to King William’s Town to eat dinner with the missionaries and sleep, and wake up the next day to see the King sites.  The best part was that I was awoken in the middle of the night in a strange place with the wind howling and rain pounding by some man trying to turn on the light of my bedroom (which didn’t work).  Yup.  I got no sleep that night.  (But don’t worry, the man actually lived at that house, he was looking for a key to something and didn’t know that I was there.  Of course, why I had to find out about this in the morning and not immediately after being terrified, I don’t know.)

Day 39:  Did I get to meet the sister of one of South Africa’s most famous anti-apartheid leaders, Bantu Steve Biko?  Why, yes.  Yes I did.  Be jealous.

Day 40:  I went to the grocery store intending to buy food.  I came out with a large bunch of spinach and four boxes of biscuits (cookies).

Day 41:  Sandal tan is coming along nicely, for it being winter and all.

Day 42:  You know what is the best?  Getting invited to a birthday party when you have never met the birthday-haver or any of the guests except your roommate.  You know what is the worst?  Actually going to said birthday party.

Day 43:  Here is how you become best friends with the amaXhosa: Step 1) say, “Nditheta isiXhosa kancinci.”  Step 2) before they have a chance to speak say, “Hayi!  Ndiyaxoka!”  (Translation: I speak a little Xhosa. *Pause* No!  I’m telling lies!)  Then they say “Tshini!” and everybody high-fives.

Day 44:  It is a fact, universally acknowledged, that no matter where you are in the world, Chinese food is often the only food worth eating*.

*Except in China. 

Day 45:  Dear family, I’m glad we’re family.  Mostly because you gave me SNL Presidential Bash 2000 and the sense of humor to enjoy it.  Love, Heather

Day 46:  I might have had the number one fish and chips in the world (minus the chips—not number one).  Be jealous. 

Day 47:  Woke up in the middle of the night and realized I am halfway through my stay and I have done about 1/8th of my homework.  Spent the entire day doing homework.  

3 comments:

Mrs. Darcy said...

Heather is awesome! End of story, I think that should go with the post of each day :) I like your stories!

Annie said...

I really enjoyed reading your posts about each day. I have had similar experiences here in Tonga. For one thing I have gone to more rugby games than I ever thought I would and have met some pretty interesting people. Second, people here ask me if I've found a Tongan moa (boyfriend) yet and when I tell them no they ask me "well why not?" how do you answer that question anyway? Keep up the good work and blog posts!

Daniel said...

I really like the daily post. It's fun to see a condensed version of your week and month to see how things are going and remember funny things too. Hope things are finishing up the way you want. Good luck!